Saturday, May 9, 2015

Working with Autistic Children



                                                 EVERY DANDELION COUNTS


"But the Beast was a good person...the Prince looked on the outside the way the Beast was on the inside. Sometimes people couldn't see the inside of the person unless they like the outside of a person. Because they hadn't learned to hear the music yet." UNLOCKED QUOTE



Most of you know that for the past two years I have worked with autistic children at the 

local elementary school. Its hard to believe that in less than four weeks I will be saying goodbye 

to these children and the wonderful team of people I have worked alongside of. 


Believe it or not it all started four summers back. 

I will never forget going to the library and getting Karen Kingsbury's book UNLOCKED. I had a 

friend who read it and so I decided  I would give it ago. 


Once I started the book I couldn't stop! It was about a boy named Holden Harris who had autism

and was mistreated by those around him because of it. He finally meets up with this girl Valerie

who wants to love and help him despite what others think of her.

As soon as I finished reading UNLOCKED I felt this strong urge to go out and help children with 

autism. I didn't know how this would happen or if it would happen but it was this invisible tug at

the strings of my heart. I even considered doing music videos and dedicating them to children with

disabilities. I told God this desire and waited to see what he would do. 


Four years later....

I was 19 ( almost 20) and looking for a job. I tried to get a job at Macy's but that fell through. Some

friends of ours at a summer youth came where I was volunteering ( teaching US History) told me 

that there was a teaching position at a christian school that I should apply for.  I applied but was 
turned down since I had no experience.

Not long after that my mom saw a job opening at our school district for an instructional aide position.

She told me that I should apply and see what happens. My hopes were dashed at this point and it was

like WHATEVER. But I did.... In the interview, the lady that was leading it suddenly asked  me my

opinion on autism and if I would be willing to work with autistic children, before I could think of

what I was saying I had answered  YES.

Needless to say....

I got the position and God answered my prayer.


For the past two years I have worked, served, loved, and learned about autistic children. I have 

learned how to use a pecs book, how to teach reading, language, math, and even some personal

developmental skills. I will be the first to admit that my little dream was much different and fantastic

to the realities I have faced on the job. But the rewards have been  greater than I could ever have 

imagined. 


On one of my field trips to a day camp I saw one of our little boy playing with Dandelions. The joy 

one dandelion gave him was like the joy a pile of gold would give you or me. That's when it

really hit me that everyone deserves love and acceptance in life! Everyone counts, everyone

matters and GOD LOVES US ALL.  I am forever changed by what I learned and 

I love my job and the adventures I have had these last two years.....

Who knows what the future holds, its been an amazing ride so far....

So I just want to say that God does really answer prayers and if you do desire to stand out and

make a difference, he will listen to you! He listened to me, I just had to be patient. I promise

he will listen to you too. 


And now I wish to privately acknowledge my six gems below by mentioning their initials.



M.D.B.J. W.



"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." ROMANS 8:28














No comments:

Post a Comment